Digest

Ryzhov B. N. The system of motivational oppositions as the basis of psychological individuality

Preuss F., Perevozkina Yu. M. Interconnection and types of social relations of role socialization system formation: metasystem approach

Ryzhov B. N. The actual-self, ideal-self and hidden-self (with Translation into English by L. A. Mashkova)

Ryzhov B. N., Tarasova А. А. Emotional Perception of Architectural Objects of 1920–1930s by Moscow Students (with Translation into English by L. A. Mashkova)

Kondratyev V. M. The Problem of Balance between Morality and Law in Human Education (with a Translation into English)

Ryzhov B. N. Psychological Age of Civilization (translated into English by L. A. Mashkova)

Aleksander T. A Review about Old Age and Disability (translated into English by A. Diniejko and into Russian by О. Leszczak)

A. A. Zych Silver University as an alternative for the polish solutions

B. N. Ryzhov THE PSYCHOLOGICAL AGE OF CIVILIZATION: the XV century, the North Renaissance

Yu. M. Perevozkina, V. G. Fedosov, F. Prusse Functional organization of impasa-role socialization of youth: metasystemic approach

T. Macho, I. V. Lebedeva, M. M. Bicharova. Migration in Europe as systemic phenomenon of the contemporary society

G. Gross, J. S. Frolova From London to Moscow coronations: perceptions of monarchy

Simons G. Tangible threats through intangible means: aspects of BRICS information and communication security

Ryzhov B. N., Mashkova L. A., Stolyarova G. I. Dynamics of motivational indicators in high school

B.N. Ryzhov - Sistem psychology
Partners

WWW.SYSTEMPSYCHOLOGY.RU

Tkachenko A. V. A system approach in sociological works of P. A. Sorokin and A. Toynbee

Journal_eng » Journal 39 : Tkachenko A. V. A system approach in sociological works of P. A. Sorokin and A. Toynbee
    Views: 385

UDC 316.2

DOI: 10.25688/2223-6872.2021.39.3.9

A SYSTEM APPROACH IN SOCIOLOGICAL WORKS

OF P. A. SOROKIN AND A. TOYNBEE

A. V. Tkachenko,

MCU, Moscow,

TkachenkoAV@mgpu.ru

The article considers sociological concepts of two great scientists of the XX century P. A. Sorokin and A. Toynbee. Both sociologists left hundreds of works devoted to the analysis of various social processes. They were interested in both the past and the present, and even the future of mankind. When describing the trends of social development, they used a system approach more widely than most modern thinkers.

In human society P. A. Sorokin and A. Toynbee saw the social system that has been functioning for thousands of years according to its own system laws. All the processes occurring within this system have been studied by two scientists on the example of particular subsystems, or civilizations. Independently of each other, P. A. Sorokin and A. Toynbee applied a system approach to the analysis of the evolutionary path passed by the Western and other subsystems, and came to similar conclusions about the development of all major communities to the culmination point, after which the disintegration of internal connections and the degradation of any subsystem begin. Both P. A. Sorokin and A. Toynbee equally linked the formation and decline of subsystems with the approval of certain ideas and both assumed the cyclical nature of this process, when a new community comes to replace a dying one.

The article provides a comparative analysis of the positions of great sociologists, on the basis of which both general and original provisions of their concepts are distinguished. The interest of P. A. Sorokin and A. Toynbee in global and local social processes, their knowledge of the history, culture and religion of different peoples, the systematization of information from various humanities characteristic of their concepts allow them to analyze these scientists theories from the standpoint of a systematic approach.

Keywords: social system; social subsystem; system approach; P. A. Sorokin; A. Toynbee; civilization; social development; society.

For citation: Tkachenko A. V. A system approach in sociological works of P. A. Sorokin and A. Toynbee // Systems Psychology and Sociology. 2021. № 3 (39). P. 105–115. DOI: 10.25688/2223-6872.2021.39.3.9

Tkachenko Alexander Vladimirovich, PhD in Historical Sciences, Associate Professor of the University Department of Philosophy and Social Sciences of the Institute of Humanities of the Moscow City University, Moscow, Russia.

E-mail: TkachenkoAV@mgpu.ru

ORCID: 0000-0002-5271-3665

References

1. Arxipov S. I. Teorii social`no-pravovy`x ciklov O. Shpenglera i A. Tojnbi [Theories of socio-legal cycles of O. Spengler and A. Toynbee] // E`lektronnoe prilozhenie k “Rossijskomu yuridicheskomu zhurnalu” [Electronic appendix to the “Russian Legal Journal”]. 2019. № 4. P. 5–17. DOI: 10.34076/2219-6838-2019-4-5-17

2. Bojchuk S. S. Religiya i civilizaciya: ponimanie religii v filosofii istorii A. Dzh. Tojnbi v kontekste civilizacionnogo podxoda [Religion and civilization: understanding religion in the philosophy of history A. J. Toynbee in the context of a civilizational approach] // Zhurnal Instituta naslediya [Journal of the Heritage Institute]. 2018. № 2 (13). P. 19.

3. Gorodencev G. A., Palazyan A. S. Analiz zhiznenny`x strategij individa v istoriko-filosofskoj koncepcii A. Dzh. Tojnbi [Analysis of the life strategies of an individual in the historical and philosophical concept of A. J. Toynbee] // Obshhestvo i pravo [Society and Law]. 2016. № 4 (58). P. 245–248.

4. Zhdanov V. L. Filosofiya istorii Tojnbi v kontekste global`ny`x mirovy`x preobrazovanij [Toynbee’s Philosophy of history in the context of global world transformations] // Filosofiya my`sl`[Philosophy of Thought]. 2019. № 8. P. 1–6. DOI: 10.25136/2409-8728.2019.8.30830

5. Petrov V. N. Krizis kak sostoyanie social`noj real`nosti v sociologicheskoj interpretacii P. A. Sorokina [Crisis as a state of social reality in the sociological interpretation of P. A. Sorokin] // Vestnik Sy`kty`vkarskogo universiteta. Seriya gumanitarny`x nauk [Bulletin of Syktyvkar University. Humanities Series]. 2017. № 6. P. 97–110.

6. Sorokin P. A. Populyarny`e ocherki social`noj pedagogiki i politiki [Popular essays of social pedagogy and politics]. SPb.: Skifiya-print, 2020. 164 p.

7. Sorokin P. A. Prestuplenie i kara, podvig i nagrada [Crime and punishment, feat and reward]. SPb.: Centr gumanitarny`x iniciativ, 2021. 496 p.

8. Sorokin P. A. Social`naya i kul`turnaya dinamika [Social and cultural dynamics]. M.: Akademicheskij proekt, 2017. 968 p.

9. Stoyanov Zh. The Historiosophy of Arnold Toynbee // Historical Review. 2019. Vol. LXXV, № 2. P. 75–78. (In Bulgarian)

10. Tojnbi A. Dzh. Postizhenie istorii [Comprehension of history]. M.: Akademicheskij proekt, 2019. 802 p.

11. Ukolova V. I., Shkarenkov P. P. Rossiya i Zapad: gorizont vy`zovov, otvetov i ugroz v koncepcii A. Dzh. Tojnbi [Russia and the West: the horizon of challenges, answers and threats in the concept of A. J. Toynbee] // Novy`j istoricheskij vestnik [New Historical Bulletin]. 2020. № 3 (65). P. 56-78.

12. Bajenov A. M., Martynova T. M. P. A. Sorokin on revolutionary [Электронный ресурс] // Power, violence and justice: reflections, responses and responsibilities. View from Russia: collected papers XIX ISA World congress of sociology, Toronto, Canada, July 15–21, 2018 / Russian Society of Sociologists, Federal Center of Theoretical and Applied Sociology of the Russian Academy of Sciences; [editor-in-chief V. Mansurov]. Moscow: FCTAS RAS, 2018. (СD-ROM). P. 65–69.

13. Castellin L., Arnold J. Toynbee’s Quest for a new world order: a survey // The European Legacy. 2015. Vol. 20. Iss. 6. P. 1–17. DOI: 10.1080/10848770.2015.1049903

14. Danilova T., Hoian I. Culture as a living organism: some words on Danilevsky’s theory of culturalhistorical types // Path of Science. 2019. Vol. 5. № 10. P. 2001–2005. DOI: 10.22178/pos.51-1

15. Danilova T., Yudina V. A. Toynbee and his universalist study of history // Path of Science. 2018. Vol. 4. № 10. P. 4001–4007. DOI: 10.22178/pos.39-5

16. Granberg L. Pitirim Sorokin between East and West: Russian traces in rural sociology // Vestnik Udmurtskogo universiteta. Sociologiya. Politologiya. Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya [Bulletin of the Udmurt University. Sociology. Political science. International relations.]. 2018. Vol. 2. № 3. P. 324–335.

17. Kumar K. The return of civilization — and of Arnold Toynbee? // Comparative Studies in Society and History. 2014. Vol. 56. Iss. 4. P. 815–843. DOI: 10.1017/S0010417514000413

18. Mangone E. The actuality of Pitirim A. Sorokin as a theorist of integral sociology in the XXI century // Pitirim Sorokin i paradigmy global'nogo razvitiya XXI veka (k 130-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya). [Pitirim Sorokin and the paradigms of global development of the XXI century (to the 130th anniversary of his birth).]. Сыктывкар: СГУ, 2019. С. 10–11.

19. Uzlander D., Stoeckl K. The legacy of Pitirim Sorokin in the transnational alliances of moral conservatives // Journal of Classical Sociology. 2017. Vol. 18, № 1. P. 133–153. DOI: 10.1177/1468795X17740734

20. Zakharova M., Przhilenskiy V. Two portraits on the background of the revolution: Pitirim Sorokin and Mikhail Reisner // Russian Law Journal. 2017. Vol. 5, № 4. P. 193–212. DOI: 10.17589/2309-8678-2017- 5-4-193-212